Helio P22 was recently announced by MediaTek as a new system-on-chip (SoC) with AI features. This is the first midrange chip manufactured using a 12nm process, using TSMC’s FinFET process. This post provides an initial exposure to the newly launched mobile processor from MediaTek.
Image Credit: MediaTek
Helio P22 Features
Helio P22 SoC sports eight Cortex-A53 CPU cores, the highest frequency of 2.0GHz, inherited PowerVR GE8329 graphics processor, only supports 720p resolution, but the maximum support to 1600×720 is 20:9 resolution. Supports LPDDR3 and 4X memory, up to 6GB RAM capacity.
The Helio P22 supports dual cameras with resolutions up to 13MP + 8MP, supports 30fps video recording, and has a low-power, “powerful hardware depth engine” that supports real-time bokeh previewing.The SoC supports dual card dual standby and full Netcom baseband, as well as 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS and GLONASS.
MediaTek also said that P22 “provides AI acceleration experience” by supporting general AI frameworks such as TensorFlow, TF Lite, Caffe and Caffe2. The company mulls the implementation of a new hardware depth engine and Neuropilot technology in the processor which enable AI enhancements such as “professional-grade Depth of Field (Bokeh) effects” and Face Unlock for their dual camera.
MediaTek Helio P22 Specifications
- Processor – 8x Arm Cortex A53 @ up to 2.0 GHz
- GPU – Imagination PowerVR GE8320 GPU @ up to 650MHz
- System Memory – Up to 4GB LPDDR3 @ 933MHz, up to 6GB LPDDR4x @ 1600 MHz
- Storage Interface (I/F) – eMMC 5.1
- Cellular Technologies – Carrier Aggregation (CA), CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), FDD / TDD LTE, HSPA +
- Specific Functions -TAS 2.0, HUPE, IMS (VoLTE\ViLTE\WoWi-Fi), eMBMS,
- Dual 4G VoLTE (DSDS), Band 71
- LTE Category – Cat-4, Cat-7 DL / Cat-13 UL
- GNSS – Beidou, Galileo, Glonass, GPS
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFI
- Bluetooth 5.0
- FM Radio
- Display – Up to 1600 x 720 (HD+) resolution
- Encoding – H.264 up to 1080p30
- Playback -H.264, H.265 / HEVC up to 1080p30
- Capture – 21MP @ 30 fps, 13+8MP @ 30 fps
- Features -AI Face ID (Face Unlock), AI Smart Photo Album, Single-Cam/Dual-Cam Bokeh; Hardware Warping Engine (EIS); Rolling Shutter Compensation (RSC) engine; MEMA 3DNR; Multi-Frame reduction;
- MediaTek Technologies – CorePilot, Imagiq, MiraVision, NeuroPilot, Pump Express, Tiny Sensor Hub
- Manufacturing Process – TSMC 12nm FinFET
Helio P22 Availability
The SoC is in volume production now and is expected to be available in consumer devices by the end of Q2 2018. You can expect to see Helio P22-powered devices in markets like India and China and others in the Southeast Asian region.
Helio P22 Smartphones
Vivo Y83 is powered by the Helio P22 processor which was recently launched in China for 1498 Yuan (approx. Rs 16,000). Vivo Y83 bears a 6.22-inch HD+ Display with a screen resolution of 1520 x 720 pixels. The display supports an aspect ratio of 19:9. The phone is backed by a 4GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage, which can be further expanded up to 256GB using the micro SD card.
The smartphone features an 8-megapixel selfie camera with AI and support for facial recognition. On the rear, you get a 13-megapixel shooter with f/2.2 aperture and LED flash. It runs on Funtouch OS 4.0 based on Android 8.1 Oreo and it is juiced up by a 3260mAh battery. On the connectivity front, it supports 4G VoLTE, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, GLONASS, GPS, micro USB port and 3.5mm headphone jack.
The new SoC will offer budget smartphones features like AI applications, dual cameras, and more without costing more. This post will continue with a comparative assessment of the Helio P22 with its close competitors. What do you think about the processor, let us know in the comments!
Visit the product page for a few more details.