MediaTek Helio P60 chip since its introduction in MWC2018. Chinese manufacturers have held a high demand for the processor, which greatly helped MediaTek’s financial situation. MediaTek has changed it’s product direction strategically to focus more on mid-range chipsets. As per the foreign media, MediaTek will launch an upgraded version of the Helio P60 soon.
Image Credit: MediaTek
Helio P60 Upgrades
MediaTek Helio P60 uses a quad-core A73 + quad-core A53 eight-core design, an ARM Mali G72 MP3 GPU, Cat 7 LTE network support, and LPDDR4X memory and UFS 2.0 flash memory. The 12nm FinFET process technology enhances the excellent power performance of the Helio P60, significantly extending the life of mobile phone batteries.
The P60 is the company’s first smart phone SoC with built-in multi-core artificial intelligence processor (Mobile APU: AI Processing Unit) and NeuroPilot AI technology, using ARM Cortex A73 and A53 size core architecture, compared to the previous generation products Helio P23 and Helio P30, CPU and GPU performance increased by 70%.
AI processors are common these days, they enhances the camera capabilities, face-unlock, etc. features. MediaTek Neuropilot AI SDK complies with Google Android Neural Network API (Android NNAPI), and supports common AI frameworks such as TensorFlow, TensorFlow Lite, Caffe, Caffe2, etc.
ARM has already introduced the Mali G76, it is expected that the GPU will be included in the updated Helio P60 processor. In addition, The upgraded version of the chip is expected to further enhance AI capabilities to attract more customers.
Helio P60 Specifications
- CPU – big.LITTLE Octa-core with four Arm Cortex-A73 up 2.0 GHz and four Arm Cortex-A53 up to 2.0 GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali-G72 MP3 at 800MHz
- Multi-core AI processing unit (Mobile APU) – 280 GMAC/s; offers deep learning facial recognition, object and scene identification, user behavior-informed performance and other AI and AR application enhancements.
- System Memory – Up to 8GB, dual-channel LPDDR4x @ 1800 MHz
- Storage – eMMC 5.1 / UFS 2.1
- Display – Up to Full HD+ 20:9 (2400×1080)
- Camera – Up to 16+20MP or 32MP
- Cellular – LTE Cat-7 (DL) / Cat-13 (UL); Dual 4G VoLTE; TAS 2.0; Global IMS
- Connectivity – 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 and FM radio
- GNSS – GPS/GLONASS/Beidou or GPS/GLONASS/Galileo co-receive
- MediaTek CorePilot 4.0 – Energy Aware Scheduling, thermal management and UX monitoring
- Manufacturing Process – TSMC 12nm FinFET
Additional detail on the product page.
Helio P60 Smartphones